Monday, November 29, 2010

"Make your community a better place..."

I try to be a good member of my community each & every day, not only by my own acts, but in teaching my 3 generations of offspring to participate positively. My great granddaughters go with me when we donate to the annual toy drive, & throughout the year the assist in choosing & collecting our toys. Just this last Thursday they helped me deliver shoeboxes & tote bags filled with basic toiletries, small games & toys to the local women's shelter & to DSS for foster children. They enjoy accompanying me when I distribute candy or cookies to the local gov't employees to thank them for always being there to help us. We also supply two elementary school classrooms with supplies every year, & donate extra supplies to organizations who deal with students in emergencies. A couple of years ago I donated a teddy bear for each of the sheriff's patrol cars so that if an officer responded to a scene where a child needed comforting, they had a toy to help. We have sent hundreds of boxes to servicemen in Iraq, & I make quilts for the wounded. I work day by day, though knowing that I can't do big things, I am secure in the knowledge that we have offered many small comforts when they were needed, & managed to let many folks know in small ways that there are others who care.

No comments:

Post a Comment