Sunday, November 14, 2010

"Memoir..."

     We call someone mentally disabled when he or she cannot function in the society due of 'being short of mental possibilities.' In the past this was called retarded or feeble minded, but in daily life we do not use it anymore. Some people say you are mentally handicapped when you have an intelligence deficiency, but there are big differences between intelligence of people with or without a mentally handicap. For example, there are people with down syndrome who can follow the primary education quite easily, as long as they are coached in a good way. On the other hand people who are handicapped in a more serious way, need to be coached with everything they do.
     I had always judged mentally disabled people. I never thought they were able to do anything and were just people who had no abilities. I never thought they could play sports, if they were smart and just be like people without mentally disabilities.
     My parents own a family business. It is a martial arts business. All ages and all ethnicity's join. Everyone is allowed to join including those with disabilities. I have seen several kids and adults with disabilities doing martial arts. I misjudged these people because they can do everything anybody can do if not better. Disabled people are really smart and pay attention very well when others may think differently like I use to. They have made me think much differently about them now and I shall never underestimate them again.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment